Paediatric Academic Leadership Awards
Since 2007, through the Paediatric Academic Leadership Awards, the Paediatric Chairs of Canada (PCC) has promoted the development of excellence and leadership within specific career paths. We believe that the health of children and youth is dependent on leadership in each of the roles of clinician practitioner, clinician educator, clinician investigator and in association with these rules the provision of administrative leadership. To recognize support and promote these roles among academic paediatricians, the PCC have established the National Paediatric Leadership Awards in each of the categories.
Clinician Practitioner: Excellence in Leadership will be primarily focused on the clinician whose clinical practice has served as an outstanding environment for the education of trainees and the advancement of practice through knowledge translation and dissemination and leadership within the discipline.
Clinician Educator: Excellence in Leadership will be primarily demonstrated through the advancement of educational innovation and practice that advances the quality of teaching related to children and youth and more broadly.
Clinician Investigator: Excellence in leadership will be primarily demonstrated through outstanding leadership in the development of environments that foster opportunity for child and youth health research.
Excellence in leadership will be primarily demonstrated through outstanding leadership in an administrative role within the clinical and/or academic community roles as identified above. Leadership awards are selected on an annual basis.
- A candidate for each of the awards must hold or have held an appointment in a University Department of Pediatrics in Canada.
- Retired/emeritus/honorary faculty members are eligible.
- Previous nominees are eligible to be renominated.
- Current Chairs of Paediatrics are not eligible for the award.
- Department of Paediatrics Chairs in Canada are being asked to submit a maximum of one nomination in each category on an annual basis.
- Nominations will include a letter of up to 3 pages from the Chair nominator and current curriculum vitae of the nominee.
- The deadline for applications will be March of the current year.
- A Selection Committee, consisting of five past Chairs of Paediatrics in Canada, will adjudicate the review process with selection of the winners by May 31st of the same year.
- The successful candidates will be announced via e-mail to all sixteen Department Chairs prior to the successful candidates being notified.
- Three awards will be bestowed annually, provided suitable nominees in each category are submitted.
- The award(s) will be presented at PCC’s dinner meeting in October.
- Recipients will be invited to attend PCC’s dinner meeting held in October each year in conjunction with the CAPHC annual meeting.
- CAPHC annual meeting registration fees will be waved for award recipients.
- The nominating department of successful awardees will fund travel and accommodations for their own awardee.
- Notice of the annual awardees and a brief biography will be presented in suitable publications and/or on the PCC and related web sites and will be distributed electronically to paediatricians across the country.